August 18, 2009

Congratulations, It's A............ Blob!

No, that isn't "boy" spelled wrong, it really is just a blob. We went in for our first appointment with the new doctor today. We were expecting him to be annoyed that we were coming in so early (only 7 weeks along) since usually they don't like to have the first appointment until 8-10 weeks. What can I say, we were anxious go in and have someone calm/validate our worries. This is our first after all. So the conversation went something like this:

Us: So we know it is a little on the early side to be coming in, but this is our first one, and we have been trying for over 2 years, and she has been so sick lately, and...

Doctor: Don't worry about it, you guys are fine. It is normal to have those kinds of concerns on the first one.

Us: ...and we are worried since we waited so long before starting, and she is getting older, and...

Doctor: In fact, since this is your first time I like to do an ultrasound a little earlier than usual, just to make sure everything is progressing normally.

Us: OK, when do you usually do it?

Doctor: About 18 weeks or so.

Us: So... when do you want us to come in and do it? (remember we are only at 7 weeks)

Doctor: We can do it today, in the other room... If that's alright with you.

Us: (surprised) Um... OK... Yeah, that would be fine... Can you really do it this early?

Doctor: Yeah no problem. And don't worry, we don't send it through the insurance and all that. I just like to be able to see what is going on. We just do it because we can.

Us: (amazed) OK, sounds good.

(ten minutes later)

Doctor: Congratulations, it's a blob!

You can just make out the blob shape
inside the circle on the left.

Doctor: Would you like to hear its heartbeat?

Us: Sure. Is it beating already?

Doctor: Yeah, here it is.

You can see the heartbeat pulses in the
waveform along the bottom of the image.
We could also hear it at the same time.

Us: WOW. That is cool.

Doctor: The heartbeat sounds normal, and the baby is 1.1 centimeters long, so that puts the due date around April 5th.

Us: So which part is the head?

Doctor: I have no clue. It's in there somewhere. But it looks like a pretty normal blob so far.


Pretty cool, huh? Only 7 weeks, and we already have an ultrasound. Unfortunately Christy has been really sick the past week and a half, and she had to start school yesterday (teaching 2nd grade of course), so that has been hard. She is hoping to start feeling better soon. Anyway, we are really excited, and now we have proof that it really is actually in there. Yay!

8 comments:

It"s me said...

Yea!!!!!! I hope you like my doctor! I am so so so excited for you! Annie will have a little friend here in a few months!

Grayce said...

Oh what a beautiful blobby,
Oh what a beautiful blob!
I've got a beautiful feeling
That I love that blobity blob!

Okay. That is my attempt at singing! Anyway, I AM really excited. Love you guys:) Momma G

Mac G said...

Ahh I remember my first blob... it seems so long ago. I am really excited for you and it sounds like you found an EXCELLENT doctor.

Tressa said...

Yea, a blob which will soon turn into a bigger blob and then a blob that looks a little more humanlike :) and then before you know it, it will be a full on out toddler running around...

Michelle Stott said...

That is a cool blob! I am SO excited for you guys. I hope Christy starts feeling better soon.

Jody said...

WOW....its the most beautiful blob I have ever seen!

Becky said...

Congrats. I am so excited for you. Good luck with your pregnancy and new little one.

Amy said...

so excited for you guys