July 19, 2008

Go & Do

I SURVIVED! I just got back from Girls Camp. When I found out that we would have pit toilets and no running water, I tried every excuse in the book to stay home. But I went anyways and held it as long as possible. This was just a ward camp with about 20 girls and 8 leaders. "Go and Do" was our theme this year taken from 1st Nephi. Here's an update of what we "Went and Did".


Day 1: arrive, set up tents, unpack, eat dinner. I shared a tent with 2 other leaders. We all agreed that pit toilets are smelly. The campsite was very beautiful. We had a little mini devotional each night and "secret sisters." Of course we all sat around the fire.

Our Campsite

Day 2: We went to the Children's Justice Center in Tooele for a service project. We weeded their garden beds and got a tour of the house and learned what goes on there. It was very hot! We were glad to get back to camp for a dip in the river and a nap. We all wore matching Tie-Dye shirts. People driving by probably thought we were having a mini Woodstock.

What's up?

Day 3: The girls were going to go on a 5 mile hike. Luckily I got to stay back at camp. I heard the view was beautiful but it was hot and uphill. I don't have any regrets about staying at camp. We had a Tree of Life activity where the girls were blindfolded and lead around on a rope (the Iron Rod) and the story of Lehi's Dream was read. They ended in a grove of trees lit with candles and a letter waiting for each girl. I think this experience was the favorite of the girls.

Brooke wouldn't be quiet so we had to duct tape her mouth closed.


Making Liahona's


Camp Certification

Day 4: Break Camp, eat breakfast, drive home!!!! I was very glad to be back. I missed Kevin and Foxy very much. I also missed showering and flush toilets. It was a fun experience and I am very glad that I went. It was different being a leader instead of a girl. I bonded with my "roomies" Brandi and Amy and we had a great time! Kevin was a good husband and cleaned up the house for my return. Foxy was outside to greet me and was so excited I had to stop the car in the middle of the street so I wouldn't run over her. I let her in the car and then tried not to hit the tree or the garbage can while she exploded inside the car. Ahhh! It's good to be home. My only question is...Who is going to wash my car?

Riverbed


5 comments:

Ann said...

Your campsite does look beautiful, but I don't know if I could do the pit toilets.

Thanks for letting us stop by today. It was good to visit with you.

It"s me said...

I loved that you actually taped her mouth closed! Oh how I have been tempted at school to do that! I am glad you survived! And you didn't even have to go on the hike!!

Brandi said...

That was such a fun week, Christy! I loved sharing a tent and getting to know you better. And I'm so glad that you brought those card games, too! You totally made that week worth while for me.

Have you caught up on your sleep yet?

dishes and laundry said...

Great pictures!!! I missed going to camp this year - sounds like you guys had a great time!

Grayce said...

It sounds like you not only survived camp, but even had a pretty good time! It looks like a beautiful area. Hope to see you soon. Love, Momma G