
L. Dean Rees March 13, 1949 - March 1, 2004
Today is the 4th anniversary of the day that Kevin's dad passed away suddenly of a heart arrhythmia and cardio-myopothy. It was a shock to us then and the family still feels the loss. He was a husband, father, son, brother, grandfather, father in law, friend, and Bishop. His passing was felt by a countless number of people. We will be attending the temple on this day to remind us of the promise of Eternal Families and that we will see him again some day soon. If you knew Dean post your favorite memories of him. We love you dad.
13 comments:
I remember the night that I was very sick from a surgery on my gums and the recovery wasn't going so well. He came over at 11:00 at night, waited patiently for me to throw up, again and then Kevin and Dean gave me a blessing. He was willing to come at any time to give blessings to his family. I also remember being able to be with Kevin and Dean before Kevin and I were married. They had both been really sick and they gave each other blessings. The spirit was very strong in that room.
I had a great experience with him as the Bishop of the singles ward that Kevin and I attended. He loved everyone in the ward and you could feel it. He and Kevin's mom convinced Kevin that he should ask me out. Bishop Rees came up at one the the break the fast dinners and called me daughter while Kevin and I were engaged.
I also had a dream where he was alive again but just for a short time. Just to say goodbye. He gave me a big hug and I remember feeling his warmth when he hugged me. He was a second dad to me.
I am very sorry for your loss. It leaves a big hole that never can be filled in. I am glad that you have so many good memories. This was a very nice tribute.
In memory of my husband, Dean Rees:
It is nice to memorialize someone as awesome as my sweetheart was. He was a great husband and such a wonderful father to our six children. We (Grayce, Kevin and Christy, Jana and Mike, Melanie and Michelle)spent an inspiring morning in the Jordan River Temple doing a session. We missed Megan (who had hoped to do baptisms this morning but was unable to come home because it is opening weekend for West Side Story at WSU) and we missed Trevor(Michelle's husband who was out of town on a business trip.) We had a moment (or two) of silence for Dean and several group hugs in the Celestial room at the temple. I "told" Dean that this was his birthday present and I told the family that I hope to repeat this tradition every year sometime between Mar. 1 and Mar. 13. It is great to have such an amazing family. Their support has certainly helped me through these past 4 years. Thanks K and C for the blog format to express our comments. Love to my family and freinds. :) Grayce
I have so many wonderful memories of my father. I remember him being such a support to his kids. I have so many cherished memories with my father playing sports. He would practice pitching and allow me to bruise his hand. He would support all of my games and I will never forget him telling me, "Eye of the Tiger." Another thing I will never forget is his wonderful advice. I would go to him with a problem or question. He would never tell me what to do but would state things so simply that I could understand. He made the biggest problems seem so minor. I was always able to make decisions after talking to him. I will never forget his hugs and his laugh. I sure do miss those. It was nice to spend some time in the temple together today and think about our father, husband, friend, mentor, bishop, and leader. It is hard with out him here but we are trying to do what we can to keep our family together and do what is right. We love you Dad!
He was one of the best people and Bishops I ever knew. I think about him often and miss him very much. He will be missed by everyone.
Uncle Dean was a very good man i remember him as if it was yesterday he helped my mom so much as we were growing up i could talk to him as a father figure and not an uncle he supported me and explained things to where i could understand him i love Dean so much and i to no it is not easy losing someone close to you. I remember when we would go to grandma's and grandpa's house and my mom and the grown ups women would go shopping that afternoon and Dean would be watching us boy i sure didn't think Dean could get mad or upset he really showed me. Lol. I sure do miss him so very much i find myself asking him for guidance and support and his knowledge on thinks that i cannot answer for myself i truely believe he will answer me in some way I'am greatful you did this blog with all my love
Love
Love is like a bird
always seen but never heard
Love is like a wheel
always turning head over heels
Love is like the breeze
if its good it will never freeze
Love will never end
if its true you can mend the hard times
to find a true friend.
I wrote that on May 28, 2007 after my accident when i could finally start writing my feeling down again its not easy losing someone you truely love and wish they were still here with all of us i miss Uncle Dean and my sister (Becky) Rebecca to most family members i have written several poems since i don't share most of them but this one i did because its about love and you never know what is going to happen so i figure i might as well share just one or more just to say that i have Uncle Dean did alot for all of us in good times and bad he helped me through alot of tough times in my life i will never forget Dean he never judged us he always gave me good advise when i needed him most he was like my dad instead of my uncle.Dean always expressed his love for each and everyone of us through our lives he understood me where noone else could or even bother with me as i wasn't the greatest kid growing up he never once gave up on me I'am greatful for the time that i had with Dean my son misses him as for my daughter she didn't know him very well i always show her pictures of him.Dean was a great father husband uncle brother etc.i will always love him and cherish him Thank you for letting me express my feelings and thoughts on this blog with all my love Renae
I remember the wonderful talk Bishop Rees gave at his Ward Conference the day before he died. He was truly ready for whatever the Lord had in mind for him. (Even though no one else was ready.)
He was a great friend to both of us and a great man. We miss him too.
What a great way to honor and remember him.
Some of my best memories I have of my dad are the times we went golfing. We used to go out as often as we could, even in the winter sometimes. He always kicked my butt, except for one single time I finally beat him. It was the accomplishment of my life.
I also remember all the times we talked, sometimes because I was in trouble, but he always knew how to handle things, and made sure I knew he still loved me. He was the best father, and best example anyone could have.
I am carrying on his tradition of drinking a glass of milk right before bed. He had a mini refrigerator in his bedroom just to keep his milk in (and a few other snacks). I don't have a mini refrigerator yet, but I am trying my best to grow up to be just like him.
I love you dad.
- Kevin
I cannot go without saying what he meant to both Shalese and I. He was our Bishop when we got married, I was his Executive Secretary, and so I knew him relatively well. He made it easy for people to talk to him in the Singles Ward. He truely cared about everyone in the ward, and was looking for ways to help every single person in it to grow and develop and just be their best selves. He is missed and loved, and we look forward to seeing him again.
I'm a little late adding to this- and it's hard to know what to say when there are so many feelings and so many memories. But I just want to say that Dad was one of my best friends. I have become more used to not having him with me every day, but I don't think I'll ever stop missing him. In fact, while time heals some wounds it can also intensify the loss. So many dramatic things have happened in the past few years of my life that I wish I had my Dad here for. Sometimes I try to imagine what his advice would be in certain situations- that makes me feel connected to him still. But I look forward to the time when I'll really be reunited with him.
One more thing- It's awesome to have such a great family to go through all this with. I love you guys!
I thought about Dean and Grayce and the whole family all day on March 1. It's hard to believe Dean's sudden departure from earthly life was four years ago. Sometimes, and I'm sure his family would agree, it seems like just yesterday. Dean was a wonderful man. I was so appreciative of how kind he was to Grandma and Grandpa Newtion as their health began to decline. Grandma Ella adored him. Dean's legacy of spiritual strength and kindness cannot be measured.
Bette
Bette
Post a Comment